Setting a default printer is quite easy because once you set it there is no need to change your settings repeatedly that is the ultimate purpose behind the settings of a default printer.
Now, before we start, let’s take a clear definition of a default printer.
What is a Default Printer?
A default printer is a printing device that is connected to a system to receive all the printing instructions.
Every time a print job is sent, the same printer gives the printout.
Many of you out there have the query to set default printers in your version of windows.
Let us take them all one by one and you will conclude that it is just a matter of a few minutes to set a printer as the default in your system.
How to set a default printer in Windows 10?
Many of us have the Windows 10 version and the question is the same as those with other versions of windows.
Here is the answer for the specific system.
- Select start and go to settings
Go to devices and then printers and scanners then select a printer then click on manage and then select the option set as default. If this option is not visible, you can select the option Let Windows manage my default printer. You will have to clear the selection before selecting a default printer. That’s it. Isn’t it amazing and simple?
IN CASE YOU WANT YOUR LAST USED PRINTER AS DEFAULT, FOLLOW THE PROCESS BELOW–
- Open start then go to settings then devices and then printers and scanners
- Now you will need to select the option Let Windows manage my default printer
How to set a default printer in Windows 11?
Not much different from Windows 10 in printer settings, Windows 11 system has also a straightforward process.
After reading the following steps you will understand in a few minutes:
- Go to Start and then Settings
- Now go to the option Bluetooth & devices and then Printers and scanners now select a printer and select set as default.
What if you don’t see the option of the set as default? Don’t worry, you can select the option Let Windows manage my default printer. Don’t forget that you will have to clear the selection before you choose your default printer.
YOU CAN ALSO SET YOUR LAST-USED PRINTER AS DEFAULT BY FOLLOWING THE STEPS
- Open start then settings and then Bluetooth devices now press printers & scanners.
- Select Let Windows manage my default printer option and confirm that it’s On.
How to set the default printer in Windows 7?
Windows 7 is still in use in many houses and commercial places but even this version is quite handy and, in a few seconds, you can learn the process as mentioned below.
- Firstly, click on the Start icon
- Now select the Devices and Printers
- You will see a list of printers
- Right-click on the printer you want to choose and then click on set as default printer
How to set the default printer not showing?
A common issue is that many times users do not see any option to set the default printer but there is nothing to worry about.
An easy process of a few steps will solve the issue.
- Firstly, you need to ensure that the default printer option is selected for the workstation.
- Exit and sign out and then reboot the workstation. Log in again to see if the desired printer appears as an option or not.
- Download and then install a new print driver.
- Uninstall / reinstall or update or repair the application.
- Confirm that the windows and the application are compatible by reviewing your system requirements.
How to change default printer settings?
It is a simple task if you pay heed to the included quick and straightforward steps.
A look at a 2-minute process below will clarify how to change default printer settings.
- Right-click on the start button
- Left-click on the control panel
- Go to printers and devices
- Scroll down to the default printer
- Select the printer and right click and choose printing preferences
- Here you can change the default settings of the number of pages and orientation like landscape or portrait. From here you can change the layout and paper quality settings.
- Click apply and then ok to finish the task
How to remove the default printer?
You can remove the default printer. You can do it quite easily once you read the steps clearly.
Following are the ways to remove the default printer in varied windows versions.
Steps to remove the default printer in Windows 7?
- Go to start and then devices and printers
- Now select the printer shown in the list and now right-click and click remove
Steps to remove the default printer in Windows 10?
- Go to Start and then Settings
- Go to Devices, Bluetooth then Printers
- Select the printer that you want to remove and then Remove a device
How to set a default printer for all users of Windows 10?
You must have realized that it all the Windows versions are user-friendly and Windows 10 is a famous version so follow below mentioned ways to perform the action required:
- Press Windows key + R
- Type Control Panel and press enter
- Open View devices and printers
- Right-click on the printer and select the properties
- Click the printing defaults button
- Now change the settings
We all are lucky to live in an era where technology is so handy and one can easily understand how to set a default printer in a system. The guide above is an all-inclusive solution to all your queries. Next time, you do not need to depend on any external professional help because you can manage things as a professional on your own.
Click on start
Right-click on the control panel
Now click devices and printers
Right-click on the printer
Click on set as default printer
When you set your printer as default, your system does not ask to select a printer every time a printing instruction is sent.
Type devices in the main search bar
Select devices and printers
Right-click on the required printer icon
Select printing preferences
Change print settings and now click on OK
Now click on ready, set, and print.