Printers are undoubtedly helpful in daily life, but at the same time, several issues are also connected to their use. When your printer shows the message ‘printer offline’ exactly when you give a print command is always annoying.
It wastes time and increases anxiety if you are in a hurry for some work.
But don’t worry because there are quite simple ways to fix this problem in a jiffy.
Delve into the relatable information below and learn what to do if your printer isn’t online. Get troubleshooting advice for every printer model.
Why does a Printer turn offline?
Before you know how to get a printer online, it is better to understand why does happen.
You can bring the printer online quickly if you know the reason why did it happen. Several reasons may turn the device from online to offline.
Common reasons that a printer isn’t online –
- Your Wi-Fi connection is not stable
- Your printer and computer are not communicating well
- An incorrect setting may take the device to offline status
What are the four ways to get a Printer online ?
Now that we know some of the common reasons, we can start working on the solution.
Before we start, you should know this daily life issue has a really easy solution. Let’s start.
Perform a physical check of the printer and cable
Physical check is always the basic thing that we usually do when a device has any functionality issue.
Check properly that the USB cable is firmly inserted from both sides. Now check the firmness of the Ethernet cable connection.
Many of you use the cable to connect the printer; in that case, try the printer cable in multiple sockets or ports on the device.
Also, check the connection with a different cable, many times, it works immediately. In case you are using a wireless connection or device, attach a cable to your computer to ensure that the printer is working correctly. Therefore, you may find that the fault is in your network connection.
Disable the ‘Printer offline’ mode on your computer or laptop
Sometimes it happens that your printer mode changes to “use printer offline” mode. Follow a simple procedure, and you will fix the issue immediately.
- Go to settings, then devices; now select printers and scanners, and here select the related printer.
- Now choose Open queue.
- On the menu bar, select Printer and make sure that “Use printer offline” is unchecked. If it is not, then uncheck it, and the device will get back to online mode.
Update the printer firmware
Any problem in the firmware may also cause a malfunction in your printer. A common cause of this concern is a firmware bug.
As a solution, install the latest version of the firmware, and the problem can be fixed. You can download it either from the printer software or the manufacturer’s website.
Restart your printer
Most of the time, simple ways work, which is common with every device. Turn off your printer, wait for a few minutes and switch it on again.
An alternative option is to unplug the printer from the socket and plug it back after waiting for a few minutes.
How to get a Printer online in Windows 10/8/7 ?
Millions of people using laptops or computer systems with windows 10 version have the same question. The answer is understandable, take a quick look at the process, and you will learn in a few seconds how to get a printer online in windows 10.
- Go to the ‘Start’ button and open it with a left click.
- In the search bar, type devices and you will see the option ‘devices and printers’
- Left-click on the ‘devices and printers’ option and open it.
- Now you will see sections here, namely devices, printers, and unspecified.
- You need to go to the printers section.
- Click and select the default printer; you can notice it through the brand name of the printer.
- Right-click on the selected printer and click on the printer properties option.
- You will see the options General, Sharing, Ports, Advanced, Color Management, Security, and Device settings.
- Left-click on the Ports option and a list of the Ports will open in the box below, and one of them will have a check sign. Left-click and select the option with the check mark.
- Under the box that shows the Port list, there are three options 1) Add Port, 2) Delete Port 3) Configure Port.
- Left-click on the third option configure the port, and you will reach Port settings.
- You need to click and uncheck the SNMP Status Enabled option in the Port Settings section.
- Now click on OK, then close the box with a left click on the cross option at the right end of the box. Similarly, close the devices and printers window.
- Finally, restart the printer, and your printer will return to online mode.
How to get an HP printer online using the HP smart app?
Again, the same problem with a famous brand; however, the solution is just a few steps away.
Let’s take a look at the procedure and learn how to get an HP printer online.
- Check the following things to bring back your HP printer to online mode –
- The printer should be ON, and papers should be placed correctly in the tray. The ink cartridges should have ample ink or the toner adequately installed. It should not show any blinking lights and should not show any errors.
- Open the HP Smart app and then select the option Set Up a New Printer.
- The app. will automatically scan and search for a printer around the WiFi setup mode. The process takes a few seconds only, and the app quickly detects the device.
- Once the app detects the device, you need to click on the Set-Up option on your printer. Your task is done; the printer is online, and start using it immediately.
How to get a Canon printer online?
You are about to introduce another set of easy procedures to get a printer online. Only the brand here is different.
Yes, Canon printers also have a simple and quick process to get online. The few steps below are the only guide to explain how to get a canon printer online.
- Turn on the printer if it is not.
- Go to the start icon and right click
- Click on Devices and Printers, and several sections will open, namely printers, devices, and unspecified.
- Go to the Printer section or click on the dropdown if the section is not open.
- Now select your printer that is canon, and then select ‘See what’s printing.
- The above step will take you to the next screen, where you will click on the Printer tab.
- You will see a checkmark on Use Printer Offline; click on it to uncheck the option.
- Lastly, close the window, and your canon printer will go online.
How to get a Brother printer online ?
Another bunch of easy and instant steps to get your printer online. The steps below are so straightforward that you can grab the basic process even while jogging on your treadmill.
- Turn on your laptop or computer and click on the start button.
- Now type Printers and Scanners in the search bar.
- The Printer Settings Screen will open on your window, after which click on your printer model
- Now select and click the Manage button that is next to Open Queue.
- Click on the Run The Troubleshooter option.
- Your system will start scanning the error
- Wait for a few seconds, and your computer will show the issue behind the offline printer
- Now click on the option Next, and the problem will be resolved automatically.
- Now click on the Close the troubleshooter option.
- Print a test page to see whether the printer has come online.
How to get a printer online on MAC?
MAC technology coordinates beautifully with printers, only due to some common reasons, the printing device goes offline.
Have a look and learn how to get a printer online on MAC.
- Switch on your printer and ensure it has a proper power supply.
- Check the printer dialog, paper jams may also be there, and your manufacturer’s instructions should work to clear the paper jam.
- Check the ink cartridges as well, or check the printer software, which also shows the warning signs of the low ink level. Usually, pressing the OK button will dismiss the low ink level sign, and then your printer will get back to online mode.
- Make sure that the computer and the printer are on the same network. In the case of the printers used for commercial purposes, sometimes both get connected to different networks.
Sometimes simple problems become big tasks in the absence of basic knowledge of technology. Today, the devices we use in daily life are user-friendly, and we can quickly fix at least minor issues.
In the blog, you read about how to get a printer online in various brands such as HP, Canon, Brother, and on MAC. Irrespective of the brand and type of printer you are using, the procedures are understandable and predictable. One last tip for you is every printer version in a brand has more or less similar processes to get it online. You need not take it as rocket science, and that is proven by the straightforward steps mentioned above.
Turn off your printer, then unplug the cable from the printer
Now turn off the computer as well
Wait for a few seconds and then turn on your computer
Plug in the printer cable into the device and turn it on.
Now take a printout to check the printer is back to online.
There can be four major causes if your HP Laserjet printer goes offline. These are –
Your printer or computer or both are turned off.
Your computer is unable to connect to the printer due to a technical glitch.
The USB cable of the device is not connected.
The Use Printer Offline mode is On.
Switch off your printer and disconnect its cable. Wait for a few seconds, usually around 30 seconds, and then reconnect it. Now turn on the printer again through the power button, and your printer will get back to online mode.