In today’s digital age, the ability to print directly from your mobile device has become increasingly important.
Whether you need a hard copy of an important document while traveling or want to print photos from your latest vacation, being able to print from your mobile device can be extremely convenient.
In this guide, we will show you the easy steps to connect your iPhone or Android phone to a printer.
Most of the printer these days come with proprietary software designed to connect your mobile device to your printer easily.
We’ll cover the most common connection methods, including printing over a local WiFi network and connecting your phone directly to the printer via Bluetooth.
- Make sure your printer is connected to the same WiFi network as your mobile device. Make a note of the printer’s WiFi network name and password.
- Download your printer manufacturer’s app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Apps like HP Smart, Canon Print and Epson iPrint let you print directly from your phone.
- Open the printer app and select your printer from the list of available devices.
- If prompted, enter your printer’s WiFi network name and password. This will connect your mobile device to the printer via WiFi.
- Now you can print documents, emails, photos and more directly from apps on your phone. Just select the share or print option and choose your printer.
Whether you opt for a basic WiFi printer or an all-in-one with more features, being able to connect your phone wirelessly opens up new possibilities for when and where you can print.
How to connect phone to printer ?
You can connect your phone to a printer in several ways. The most common methods are to connect wirelessly via WiFi if both your phone and printer support it, or connect with a USB cable if your printer has USB printing capability.
On iPhone devices, you can also use the AirPrint service to connect your printer to your iPhone.
Also your device may have some preinstalled services from Google named as Google Cloud Print Services.
There are three main ways to connect an Android phone to a printer wirelessly:
This is the most common method. Simply connect both your phone and printer to the same WiFi network.
This will create a common connection between the devices, allowing them to communicate with each other.
If your printer does not support WiFi, you can use Bluetooth instead. To do this, turn on Bluetooth on both your phone and printer. Then, pair the two devices.
Once your Android device is connected to your printer, you can print any document or file by opening it, tapping the Share button, selecting Print, and choosing your printer from the list of available printers. The document will then be printed.
Some printers have their own app that you can use to connect your phone to the printer.
To do this, download the app from the Google Play Store and install it on your phone. Then, open the app and follow the instructions to connect the printer.
We have listed most of the common printer’s app below however if you don’t find your printer’s app in the list you can always download the same from your Play Store.
Print a File from android phone
After connecting your phone to the printer, you can print any file or document.
To do this, open the file and tap the Print button. A list of available printers will appear. Choose your printer, and it will print the file
Here are some additional tips for connecting an Android phone to a printer wirelessly:
- Make sure to power on both your phone and printer and establish a strong WiFi or Bluetooth connection between them.
- If you are using WiFi, make sure that your phone and printer are on the same network.
- If you’re utilizing Bluetooth, ensure that you have paired the two devices.
- If you’re utilizing a printer’s app, confirm that you have installed the app on your phone and logged into your printer account.
There are three ways to connect an iPhone to a printer. Firstly, consider watching the video for your convenience.
Then, try the steps mentioned below to connect your iPhone to the printer.
AirPrint enables you to wirelessly print to a printer connected to the same WiFi network as your iPhone. Most newer printers support AirPrint.
- Firstly, to use AirPrint, ensure that your iPhone and printer are connected to the same WiFi network.
- Secondly, open the document or file you want to print.
- Thirdly, tap the Share button.
- Next, select Print and your printer should appear in the list of available printers.
- Finally, tap on your printer and the document will be printed
If your printer does not support AirPrint, you can connect it to your iPhone using Bluetooth.
- Firstly, turn on Bluetooth on both your iPhone and printer.
- Secondly, go to Settings > Bluetooth and tap the name of your printer.
- Finally, You will pair your printer with your iPhone
Pairing your printer with your iPhone allows you to print any document or file by opening it and tapping the Share button.
Select Print and your printer should appear in the list of available printers. Tap on your printer to print the document
Some printers have their own app that you can use to connect your iPhone to the printer. To do this, download the app from the App Store and install it on your iPhone. Then, open the app and follow the instructions to connect the printer.
We’ve included the apps for most commonly used printers below. However, if you can’t locate your printer’s app in the list, you can always download it from the App Store.
Print a File from iPhone
Once your iPhone is connected to the printer, you can print any file or document.
o do this, open the document or file you want to print and tap the Share button. Select Print and your printer should appear in the list of available printers. Tap your printer and the document will be printed.
Here are some additional tips for connecting an iPhone to a printer:
- Ensure that you turn on both your iPhone and printer
- Make sure that your iPhone and printer are connected to the same Wi-Fi network (for AirPrint) or Bluetooth network (for Bluetooth).
- If you are using AirPrint, ensure that your printer is included in the list of available printers.
- If you are using Bluetooth, ensure that you pair your printer with your iPhone.
Tip: Verify that the print quality, paper size, and other pertinent parameters are all set appropriately.
How to connect a printer to a phone with a USB?
Follow below mentioned process to connect a printer to phone with a USB cable:
- Firstly, you will need to have a USB cable on-the-go cord.
- Ensure that your printer hardware is also ready to connect
- USB cable will have to be connected to the printer.
- Your phone should be able to support on-the-go (OTG) cords, as not all phone support it.
- Now turn on your printer
- One end of the USB cable needs to connect to the printer as well as another end will connect to the USB OTG. After that, connect the other end of the OTG USB to your android phone.
- Now a plug-in will pop up on your phone.
- Now you can tap ok to activate the printing process
- Go to the document or picture you want to print. In the case of a photo, tap more and then tap print, and then your job is done. In the case of a document, select more and then tap share and then print.
How to connect phone to wireless printer ?
Connecting your phone to a wireless printer is easy with a few simple steps included in the procedure.
Take a look and read carefully about how to connect a phone to a wireless printer.
- Firstly go to play store and down and install your printer’s print service plugin. Every printer model has a plugin and you need that to print wirelessly.
- Now tap on the option of the printer and you will be able to connect your desired printer to the wi-fi network.
- Once you have connected the printer, open the app from which you want to print an item, such as photos or documents.
- Tap on the document you want to print and then tap on the print option and the printing device will give a print.
Tip: If your printer shows offline for some reason check network connections. Also check printer settings on your mobile device.
How to connect a phone to the HP printer?
HP is a popular brand due to its technology that keeps enhancing with the latest technology, which is why a HP printer can connect to a phone quite easily.
Take a look at the process below and learn how to connect a phone to a HP printer.
- Connect your printer and phone with the same Wi-Fi network.
- Now download and install the HP print service plugin on the android phone.
- Tap on the dropdown menu to initiate the printing process. The dropdown shows the options of share, export, and print.
- Tap the printer icon to initiate the printing process from your connected printer.
- Lastly, tap print, and your printer will give a printout.
Tip: Installing the HP Print Service plugin from the Google Play Store will enable wireless printing on your smartphone.
How to connect a phone to a Canon printer ?
A quick glance at the steps below will clarify how to connect a phone to a canon printer.
Once you are familiar with the procedure, you will be able to print from your Canon printing device.
The process below is applicable for android as well as iOS devices.
- Firstly ,you need to download and install the Canon print app from the App store for iOS and Google play store for android phones.
- The printer switch should be properly plugged into the switchboard.
- Now check the Wi-Fi signal or icon on your printer, it should show blue light.
- Now, go to the canon printing app
- Tap on the option add printer shown on the screen.
- Now tap register printer and then printer set up
- Tap on the options connection via the wireless router
- Choose the wireless network name or access point that you want to select
- Enter the password for Wireless and press ok
- You will see a pop-up once the canon is connected to the network. Press Ok.
- Select the printer’s name and your phone will be connected to it.
- At last Press ok and then you can run a print test to confirm that your phone is connected.
Tip: On your phone to check the connected devices check the settings app.
How to connect a phone to an Epson printer?
Get ready to follow a straightforward process because your phone can easily be in connect to an Epson printer.
Take a look and next time when you connect the two devices, you will not need help to do this work.
- Firstly go to the play store and download and install the Epson print service.
- Tap on the printer to connect your printer to the wi-fi network.
- Once connected open the photos/document/webpage you want to print.
- Lastly tap on the picture/ document and then tap on print and your task is complete.
The small encyclopedia provided above is enough to help you with everything you need to know about connecting your phone to different printer models.
The main takeaway from all this information is that the task you might think is hard is actually quite simple.
All you need are some basic steps and a bit of curiosity to figure out the solution – these two things are all you require to connect your phone to a printer.
Frequently Asked Question’s (FAQ’s)
Your phone might not find the printer due to connectivity issues. Make sure both devices are on the same network and check for any software updates. If problems persist, consult the printer’s manual or customer support.
You can connect your phone to a printer using Wi-Fi or Bluetooth.
Yes, you might need a printer’s app installed on your phone for seamless connection.
Yes, as long as your printer and phone are compatible, you can print across various models.
No, it’s quite straightforward. Basic steps and the right app can make the process easy.