In commercial spaces, it is usual scene that a printer is made accessible for many users to facilitate smooth official work. There is a simple process that needs to be followed to make a printer default for all users.
Several aspects come with this condition because the process for setting a printer at default may vary depending on the device and the version a person is using.
How can I make my printer default for all my users at home?
Here is the straightforward process to grant your printer access for all users. –
- Log in to the administrator account of your computer.
- Double click on ‘My Computer’, now select printers
- Right-click on the printer and select the properties
- Now click on the security tab and then select permissions
- Now you can add users/groups to grant the access permission
- Lastly, click on OK to complete the process.
How to set the Printer as default for all users in Windows 10?
Many of you out there with the Windows 10 version must have gone through a situation when it was vital to provide access to the printers to multiple users but there is confusion about the process.
Here are the steps you need to follow for the same.
- Open settings
- Go to devices
- Left click on printers and scanners
- Uncheck the box with the option let windows manage my default printer
- Once you set this option, the system manages the default printer which is always the last-used printer
- Now click on the printer name that you want to set as the default
- Then click on manage
- Now you will see links for configuration options. Click on set as default
- You will see the option default as part of the printer status
“Can I set the default printer for all users in windows 10 through the registry“?
Many of you have gone through this and might still be looking for a reliable solution. We have mentioned below the steps to set your printer as default for all users in the windows 10 system.
- Press win + R to open RUN
- Type Regedit
- Windows Registry Editor opens
- Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/CurrentVersion/Windows
- Now click on Windows
- Right-click on the device and click on Modify
- Now change the printer name and also port number and click on OK
- Modify the value data to ‘1’
- Right-click on the legacy default printer mode
- Now find the port number for the printer by clicking on printer ports
- Open control panel > device and printers under hardware and device settings
- Now select your printer and it will be selected and will set as the default printer for all users
Set default printer for all users Windows 10 Powershell
A few steps below will set your printer connected to windows 10 default for all users. The process is so short that even if you try, you cannot forget the process.
- Start the app PowerShell on your Windows
- Type the command, rundll32 printui.dll, PrintUIEntry /y /n “printer name”
- Do not forget that you replace the printer name with the printer name that you want to set as default. Now, your job is done.
Steps to set the default Printer for all users with registry
It is another common query of millions of printer users with this query, however, the solution to this problem is quite simple if you follow the following steps as your guide.
Step 1 – Click on start and enter Regedit in the search bar
Step 2 – Select the option regedit shown in the search results, now press ctrl-shift-Enter and open the program by logging in as administrator.
Step 3 – Now in your computer system, navigate |HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows NT>CurrentVersion>Devices.
Step 4 – Locate your printer from the list of devices and then write your printer’s name
Step 5 – Now right-click on your printer, then select the option to modify from the context menu.
Step 6 – Now write down the information and detail shown in the value data field
Step 7 – Click on cancel and close the window
Step 8 – Now select “HKEY_USERS” from the left pane. After that, Click “File,” > “Load Hive.” Browse to “%SystemRoot%\Users\Default.”
Step 9 – Now. Double-click “Ntuser.dat.” Name the hive “Ntuser,” when prompted, then click on “OK.”
Step 10 – Navigate through “NTUSER | Software | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Devices.”
Step 11 – Right-click on the right pane, go to New and then click on the option String Value, after that enter your printer’s name.
Step 12 – Double-click on the new value, and now enter the information mentioned in step 5, into the Value Data Field. After that click on ok
Step 13 – It is now time to return to the key “HKEY_CURRENT_USER,” and then navigate through “Software | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | PrinterPorts.”
Step 14- Double click on your printer, then write down the detail provided in the value data field and then click on cancel.
Step 15 – Return to the “HKEY_USERS,” and then navigate through “NTUSER | Software | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | PrinterPorts.”
Step 16 – follow the instructions mentioned in step 10 and create a new string value by typing the name of the desired printing device.
Step 17 – Enter the information given in step 13 into the value data field, after that click on OK
Step 18 – Get back to “HKEY_CURRENT_USER,” now navigate through “Software | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Windows.”
Step 19 – Double click on your printer and again write down the detail or information given in the value data field, after that click cancel.
Step 20 – Go to the “HKEY_USERS,” followed by “NTUSER.” Navigate through “Software | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Windows.”
Step 21 – Now you can follow the similar process explained in the previous steps can create the new value with your printer’s name and can enter the suitable details mentioned in step 18.
Step 22 – Select “HKEY_CURRENT_USER,” and then click “Printers” from the left pane. After that, as you know, write down all the values and data shown in the right pane.
Step 23 – Once again, it is time to get back to “NTUSER.” Right-click on the left pane, and then point to “New,” now click “Key.” Finally, Name the key “Printers.”
Step 24 – Open your printer’s key to recreate all the values mentioned in step 21. Now return to “NTUSER,” then click “File,” then select “Unload Hive.”
Set default Printer for all users through CMD(Command Prompt)
Setting your printer default for users through the cmd of the command prompt is a cakewalk. Pay attention to the steps below and you will complete the task in a short while.
- Open the command prompt app
- Type the command rundll32 printui. dll, PrintUIEntry /y /n “printer name” in the shown space.
- Once you enter this command your printer sets as default for all users.
Note – Do not miss to change the printer’s name and replace it with your required one.
“Is it difficult to set the default printer for all users in Windows 7“?
No, certainly not. It is always an easy process to set your printer default for all users if you have Windows 7 system. Take a look at the steps below.
- Go to the control panel
- Now go to the hardware and sound section, here you need to tap on view devices and printers
- A list of installed devices will open on your computer screen
- Scroll down to the printers section
- Find your printer name and right-click on it.
- Now click on set as default printer
- Now click ok to set the selected device and default printer
- Lastly, you will see a checkmark in front of the printer’s name that you have selected to set as default, which confirms the change.
A quick guide to setting the default printer for all users of Windows Server 2016
Yes, the guide below is certainly going to be easy and quick, because in a few steps, you will complete the job and you will never forget the simple steps.
- Firstly Log in to local admin on the destination session host
- Create the default printer gpo for your required end users
- Now go to the group policy management editor
- Now go to user control panel settings\ printers\ configuration\preferences
- Enter new and then type the printer name connected to the session host.
- Write the information accurately that is given in the New printer properties tab
- Now select set this printer as the default printer
- Enter force on both client and DC/gpupdate
- Enter mstsc in the command prompt now uncheck the printers from the local resources
- Enter the end user domain name and enter the password.
- Finally, you will see the default printer on the destination session host.
In summary, mastering the process of setting the default printer for all users can significantly contribute to a well-functioning and user-friendly workspace.
Embracing these steps will undoubtedly yield positive results and ensure that printing tasks are consistently hassle-free for all users involved.
Remember to regularly review and update the default printer settings to accommodate any changes or new additions in your network infrastructure, optimizing your printing experience for the long term.
Follow the following steps and you can complete the task –
Login to the administrator account
Now double-click on My Computer and then select printers
Right-click on the printer for which you desire to change the properties to allow access
Now click on the security tab and select permissions
Now you can easily add users/groups and grant them the required permission
Finally, click OK once the process is finished
It’s quite a simple process and can be completed in a few minutes. Take a look below –
Touch or click on the start button
Now click on the control panel
Click on devices and printers
Right-click on the printer
Now click on the option set as default printer
Follow the steps below and your printer will become universal in access.
Go to settings and then devices then printers and scanners
Now select add a printer
now select the printer you want to use, now select add device
once your printer is added, it will show its name in settings in the list of printers and scanners